List archive Help

[PeerLibrary dev] PeerDB vs. Meteor collection queries

  • From: André Gaul < >
  • To: peerlibrary dev mailing list < >
  • Subject: [PeerLibrary dev] PeerDB vs. Meteor collection queries
  • Date: Tue, 05 Aug 2014 00:08:55 +0200

Hey friends!

While trying to query the Person docs in the database, Nico and I came
across a few questions:

1) What's the benefit of using PeerDB instead of Meteor collections?
The ability to track/include references seems to be very useful but was
this the main reason for picking PeerDB?

2) Querying the server's DB is straightforward in Meteor [1]; you simply
run something like

Publications.find(...)

(here Publications would be a standard Meteor collection). With PeerDB,
a query of the form

Publication.documents.find(...)

only seems to query the documents that are available on the client side.
Is there a way to query the server's DB?

3) The realization of the publication search in peerlibrary confused us.
This is how we understand the process works:
a) client/search.coffee: currentSearchQuery is updated in the Session
b) client/results.coffee: on change of currentSearchQuery,
the Meteor endpoint 'search-result' is subscribed with the query
string.
c) server/search.coffee: search is carried out
d) what happens next? Is the client's Publication list then updated
by the server?

4) Are the global variables (such as Publication) defined for debugging
purposes or are they actively used?

Cheers,
André

[1] https://www.meteor.com/screencast